A Bit Of Loftus History
Loftus is a small town in the North East of England, that dates back to the Roman times. It was an outpost on the Roman road between Saltburn & Goldsbrough.
The first recorded mention of "LOFTUS" was in the year "1086" in the "DOOMSDAY BOOK" Which was commissioned by "WILLIAM the CONQUEROR" at which time it was called "LOCTVSV"
It later became known as "LOFTHOUSE" until the 1890's. This was when it was renamed as "LOFTUS".
.
Loftus Town Hall, High St, Loftus, Saltburn By the Sea TS13 4HG
The Town Hall was built by the Earl of Zetland, erected by Mr Thomas Dickinson of Saltburn. The building was first opened in 1879.
During the (1914-1918) 1st & the (1939-1945) 2nd World Wars. Some of the rooms in the building were commandeered for the war effort.
Loftus Town Hall was built to show a clock face to the North, South, East & West of the town. But there was no South view clock built in. This is because all areas of Loftus were asked to contribute towards the cost. The people of South LOFTUS refused. So no clock face was added.
.
St Leonards Church:
There was said to be a Church without a priest in 1086. But the earliest written evidence of the church in Loftus is from 1275. When the then Lord of the Manor "William de Sauchay" gave the Church to Guisborough Priory. This continued until the dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 when patronage reverted to the Crown.
According to Volumes held at the Borthwick Institute in York, it shows that Church registers began in 1697, and at that time some rebuilding of the church took place.
St Leonards was rebuilt in 1811 after being described in 1808 as a mean and humble edifice (large building) In a neglected condition. Apart from the west tower, the church was mostly rebuilt again in 1901.
St Leonards Church has its own graveyard around it as many churches do. The actual churchyard itself was officially closed for burials by Queen Victoria in 1855. But there are still burials of cremated remains allowed.
The Roman Catholic Church: St Joseph and Cuthbert was opened
in 1906.
The Grave of The SAXON PRINCESS
In 2004 archaeologists started digging in the fields at Street Houses. They were looking for a 300BC settlement. Over the next few years they made the amazing discovery of a burial site dating back to AD630 and AD 670. This is where they believe an Anglo-Saxon Princess was buried. An exhibition of all the findings can be seen at Kirkleatham museum near Redcar
..............................................................
(CLICK ON PICTURES FOR A LARGER VIEW)
LOFTUS CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
In October 1904 a fund was started to build a new Congregational Church on a
prominent site for Loftus. The Total cost of the building was £2,100.
In April 1906 the first foundation stones were laid.
On December 6th 1906 the building was officially opened.
The Pastor was Rev T College Booth. He had started his first Pastorate at Loftus in 1897
The SAXON PRINCESS
THE NEWTON MEMORIAL CHAPEL
Before and after it was Bombed in 1941. It had
to be demolished as the damage was so severe.
A view from the Market place looking down
toward the Newton Memorial chapel
An old picture of the Town Hall
in the background and the Lodge.
Views of Station Road and
West Road leading onto Zetland Road
The Old Wool Market in the Market Place
Dam End - A view of the old Police Station
Dam End - Local Kids playing in the snow
with Church Bank wall in the background
North Road - pic 1
North Road - pic 2
Outside The Congretional Church
North Terrace view 1
The Old Co-Op and some of the staff
The Co-op Butchers Delivery transport
Bus accident on bridge at the bottom of Mill Bank
Bus in the beck after the accident
at the bottom of Mill Bank
View from the Bottom of Mill Bank
Mill Bank
Regal Cinema & Golden Lion Hotel
Loftus Railway Station
SHINTY - 1938
Loftus Senior School "Shinty" team from 1938.
This pic from an old newspaper clipping, is a bit special to myself, as that is my Mother Grace Oglesby (Barnes)
Front row, second one from the left.
The Loftus Ladies Cricket Team
No comments:
Post a Comment